Saturday, November 19, 2011

Socks documentation and pictures



Socks by Engeline VonFoxridge
Name of piece and what layer it represents:
These are socks and the represent the accessory layer even though I think they should represent the skin layer.
Period and origin of time:
The period of origin I am using is the 1300’s my personia is of Austrian decent so I am using Austria as the place.
What material was used in period:
Material that was used in period was linen, wool, and silk.
Material I used:
The material that I used was linen

from the Romance of Alexander, 1338-44;
fol. 109v
 
How I assembled the pieces:

I measured out a pattern that I got from Dame. Angele Plaisance. Then I cut the pieces out of the linen. I hand sewed them together following the instructions given by Dame. Angele Plaisance.
What I did and the difference between:
 I think the differences are that I used cotton string and they would of used linen.  
History:
Sock were worn by men and women alike. Socks are used to keep one’s feet warm and dry. In the eight century Hesiod, a Greek poet wrote “of piloi, socks made from matted animal hair.” Romans wrapped their feet in stripes of leather or woven fabric and in Egypt there has even been some knitted stockings found. In the 14th century hoes or sock were worn in many different lengths. From below the calf, to just above the knee, and even thigh highs. The more well to do had had bright colored or embroidered with gold thread on the instep and up the shin. By the mid 1400’s socks were more and more decorative with stripes of different colors or each leg a different color.
What I learned and what I would do different next time:

I learned that socks were made of wool and then lined with linen. What I would do differently next time is use the linen string that comes from the cloth and not cotton string.
Reference:



No comments:

Post a Comment