Saturday, November 19, 2011

buttons documentation and pictures


Cast Pewter Buttons
By Engeline Vonfoxridge source: Pilgrim Souvenirs and Secular Badges, by Brian Spenser, p. 308–310)


Name of piece and what layer it represents:
These are cast pewter buttons and they represent the accessory layer.
Period and origin of time:
The period of origin I am using is the 1300’s my persona is of Austrian decent so I am using Austria as the place.
What material was used in period:
Pewter was used in period
Material I used:
I used pewter.
How I assembled the pieces:
First I carved the mold. Then I poured the pewter. Filed and cut off the flashing
What I did and the difference between:
I didn’t use a forge and I used a dremel to scoop out some of the mold.  


Special thanks the Gilliana, Syeria, and the Arn Hold casting guild. They taught me how to cast helped fix some problems before they became mistakes.

History:
Buttons from the 9th century have been found in Sweden. Buttons in the early 12th century gained popularity. With the tighter fitting clothing of the 14th century became an item of fashion. Buttons were made of lead, pewter, bronze or tin. (Egan & Pritchard 2002, 272) In the 14th century buttons were worn as ornaments and fastenings from the elbow to the wrist and from the neckline to the waist. Buttons for the wealthy were made from gold, silver, and ivory. While the more common people wore buttons of bone or wood. Sumptuary laws and royal decrees dictated what kind of buttons the lower classed could wear. Buttons told society where you ranked in the social status.

What I learned:
I learned how to cast
References:
Egan, Geoff & Pritchard Frances (2002) Dress Accessories c. 1150-1450. Boydell Press, Woodbridge.
Newton, Stella Mary (1980) Fashion in the Age of the Black Prince. A Study of
Piponnier, Francoise & Mane, Perrine (1997) Dress in the Middle Ages. Yale University Press. New Haven and London.
20,000 Years of Fashion - François Boucher
The Book of Costume - Millia Davenport
The History of Costume - Blanche Payne et al
Manuscript Painting at the Court of France - François Avril
The Rohan Master - Marcel Thomas
Treasures From the Bodleian Library - A. G. Hassal and Dr. W. O. Hassal
Les Tres Riches Heures du Duc de Berry - Jean Longnon and Raymond Cazelles
the years 1340-1365. Boydell Press, Woodbridge. Nockert, Margareta






No comments:

Post a Comment