Saturday, November 19, 2011

Garters documentation and pictures

Garters
By Engeline vonFoxridge

Name of piece and what layer it represents:
These are garters and the piece that they represent is the skin layer.
Period and origin of time:
The period of origin I am using is the 1300’s my personia is of Austrian decent so I am using Austria as the place.
What material was used in period:
.
Woven strips of wool with integral fringe, card woven bands either tied or buckled on, and leather strips with buckles

Material I used: I used cotton string that I bought at the store, because it came in the colors that I wanted.
How I assembled the pieces:
 I wrapped my inkle loom with the colors that I wanted to used. Then I just started weaving until I had enough for a garter. The differences are that I used cotton string and not wool or linen.
History:
Garters are a narrow band of fabric tied or buckled below the knee to help keep the stockings from falling down. Garters are normally only a few inches in width and can be decorated. Garters were worn by both men and women.
Lessons learned:

I finally learned how to wrap my inkle loom.
What I would do different next time:
 is make a pattern in the garter. References:
Rosalie Gilbert
Alcega, Juan de. Tailor's Pattern Book 1589. Trans. Jean Pain and Cecilia Bainton. Carlton, Bedford, UK: Ruth Bean, 1979.

Arnold, Janet. Patterns of Fashion: The Cut and Construction of Clothes for Men and Women 1560-1620. New York: Drama Books, 1985




No comments:

Post a Comment