Saturday, November 19, 2011

Cloak docrumentation and pictures

Cloak By Engeline Vonfoxridge  
Name of piece and what layer it represents:
This is a cloak and it represents the outer layer
.Period and origin of time:
The period of origin I am using is the 1300’s my persona is of Austrian decent so I am using Austria as the place.
What material was used in period:
Wool as an outside layer, with linen lining.
Material I used:

I material that I used was black wool, cotton string, and fake fur.
How I assembled the pieces:
First thing I did was measure the length of wool that I wanted for my cloak. Then I made a neck band and pleated the cloak part into the top. Lastly I attached the fur to the edges. I hand sew the whole thing.
What I did and the difference between:
I used cotton string to sew the cloak together and fake fur for the trim.   
History:

An all-purpose outer layer of clothing has been in all cultures from the Neolithic to the 19th century. Cloaks are used for warmth as well as a makeshift bedding, making the cloak a staple garment for both sexes in all cultures and classes. What changes from time to time, and place to place are the fabrics, length and the methods of closing. Most cloaks were made with separate hoods. This arrangement provided two layers of wool over the neck, throat and shoulders during bad weather. The wearer could either wear the cloak alone or with the hood or if weather permits just the hood alone. “The English word cloak derives from the medieval Latin cloca, meaning cape, and the Old French cloke, which was the same as the later cloche, meaning bell. “ 
What I learned:
 I learned that I hate working with fur it makes a mess on the wool.
References:
Fashion in the Age of the Black Prince. By Stella Mary Newton
Boucher, François. 20,000 Years of Fashion. The History of Costume and Personal Adornment (Expanded Edition). (Harry N. Abrams, Inc., NY 1983). ISBN 0-8109-1693-2.
Cowgill, J.; M. de Neergard; and N. Griffiths. Knives and Scabbards (Medieval Finds from Excavations in London:1). (HMSO, London 1987)
Crowfoot, Elisabeth; Frances Pritchard, and Kay Staniland. Textiles and Clothing, c.1150-c.1450. (Medieval Finds from Excavations in London: 4) (alias "T&C") (London: HMSO, 1992).
Houston, Mary G. Medieval Costume in England and France, The 13th, 14th and 15th Centuries (Dover Publications, NY, 1996; 1st pub. Adam & Charles Black, London, 1939, as Vol. II of "A Technical History of Costume")

Kohler, Karl. A History of Costume. ISBN 0-4862-1030-8.





No comments:

Post a Comment