Friday, December 9, 2011

belt report and pictures

1338-44, French.
From the Romance of Alexander; fol 204r
Belt By Engeline Vonfoxridge

Name of piece and what layer it represents:
 This is a belt and it represents the accessory layer.
Period and origin of time:
The period of origin I am using is the 1300’s my persona is of Austrian decent so I am using Austria as the place.
What material was used in period:
Belts were made of leather, woven braid, embroidered fabric or metal.
Material I used:
I used leather, green leather dye, wax, pewter, and metal.
How I assembled the pieces:
I bought my leather belt blank from Tandy Leather. I wetted the leather and smoothed the edges of the belt. I used green leather dye. Waxed it to seal the dye into the belt. I added
my belt mounts and buckle.



What I did and the difference between:
I didn’t use period dyes or waxes.History: History:
Belts or girdles were worn by everyone in the 14th century. Belts were not only functional items, by also used as status symbols. Belts were not commonly used to carry much weight. They were more decorative. As with many forms of dress accessory, belts came under fire for their decoration. “A 13th century preacher from Paris, Gilles d'Orlean, rebuked women for their affluence of dress and accessoriesA 13th century preacher from Paris, Gilles d'Orlean, rebuked women for their affluence of dress and accessories chiding: that Jesus Christ and his blessd mother, of royal blood though they were, never thought of wearing the belts of silk, gold and silver fashionable among wealthy women.’Peasant women wore sturdier and more practicala belts made of leather. The shape of a woman’s belt most commonly worn was long and thin. The belt was usually worn low on the hips with a knot at the buckle and the rest of the belt hanging down the front anywhere from 6 inches to as long as their dresses. Decorative belts were often more expensive so usually only weathlyer women wore them. Women with a better social standing wore thinner belts of better leather or embroidered with better metal clasps or buckles. Long continuous strips of leather were hard to come by , so leather belts were often made up to be whatever length of leather that could be found. It was not uncommon to find belts made from spliced pieces of leather to make longer belts.
What I learned:
I learned that green dye sucks. It is hard to seal.  
Reference:
Houston, Mary G. Medieval Costume in England and France � The 13th, 14th, and 15th Centuries, Dover 1996.
Norris, Herbert. Medieval Costume and Fashion, Dover 1999.
Braun & Schneider. Historic Costume in Pictures, Dover 1975.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment