Friday, December 9, 2011

belt mounts report and pictures


Belt mounts by Engeline Vonfoxridge

Name of piece and what layer it represents:

The name of the piece is a belt mount and it represents the accessory layer.
Period and origin of time:
The period of origin I am using is the 1300’s my persona is of Austrian decent so I am using Austria as the place.
What material was used in period:
 Pewter was used in period.
Material I used:

I used pewter.
How I assembled the pieces:
I used a 3 part registered soapstone mold to cast the mounts. I carved the shape into the soapstone. Then I poured the pewter into the mold, let it cool, and then smoothed the rough edges.
The difference between:
I used brickettes instead of coal or wood to make fire.
History:
Belts made of leather, woven, or fabric were often decorated with metal pieces Many belt mounts on women's belts were made from silver, although very often pewter was used to make imitation silver belt mounts.

What I learned:

I learned how to carve and cast pewter.  
  References:

Egan, Geoff & Pritchard Frances (2002) Dress Accessories c. 1150-1450. Boydell Press, Woodbridge.
Newton, Stella Mary (1980)
Fashion in the Age of the Black Prince. A Study of the years 1340-1365. Boydell Press, Woodbridge. Nockert, Margareta
Piponnier, Francoise & Mane, Perrine (1997) Dress in the Middle Ages. Yale University Press. New Haven and London.
20,000 Years of Fashion - François Boucher
The Book of Costume - Millia Davenport


* special thanks to the Arn hold casting guild.*




No comments:

Post a Comment